Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday April 27 - Nice


I started Friday morning by doing my long run for the week, the longest run of my training at that point. I didn't take this picture, but it gives you a sense of how far 18km is. I started near Sarah's grandparents, kind of in the middle of this picture, then ran towards the foreground, behind where the picture was taken and then back to Sarah waiting on the boardwalk to give me water. That was the first 6km. The I ran as far as you can see along the coast, and then around that corner for a little ways and back. That was 6km out and 6km back, making a total of 18 for the day, and 44 for the week! I was slow, it took me 2 hours and 3 minutes, but I did it! I loved running in Nice so much. In the evening, Michel picked us up and took us to some great places that we hadn't seen yet and wouldn't see without a car, including many fantstic parks. They have a great jazz festival in another part of this park, and he told a story of peeing in a urinal next to Dizzy Gillespie! This is a picture of Roman bath houses built centuries ago. It's amazing how much has remained, allowing you to see the structure of their buildings.
He also took us to this beautiful waterfall on a hill overlooking the city. Believe or not, the water on the right of this picture is the top of the waterfall from the picture above it. Kind of like Frank Lloyd Wright did, this house was built on top of a waterfall.

We spent the night at Sylvia and Michel's and enjoyed a wonderul 7 course meal with Regis, his girlfriend and their long time friend Cedric, who is actually friends with Sarah's brother Jacob, and has visiting him in China before! Le monde est petit, eh?




No comments: