Sunday, May 17, 2009

London!

After a few crazy weeks finishing my degree, packing, entertaining a string of guests, etc, we finally made it to Europe. The excitement was tempered by the fact that it meant I wouldn't see Olivia and Sarah for two weeks. They went to straight to Sarah's family in Toulouse while I came to Rennes to start my work. I treated myself to two days in London on the way and really enjoyed myself. Maybe it was the jet lag, but I found London to be a pretty overwhelming city. I am from an overwhelming city, but this felt different. Just when I got comfortable, I would step out from the curb and a car would come flying from the opposite direction. It was harder to get used to that than I thought. I had a blast though, saw tons of things, did two long runs (of 7 miles and 9 miles), but mostly missed my girls.


The train station I left from on my way to Paris


Standing where the players and coaches watch the game at Stamford Bridge, home of the Chelsea Football Club.

My post game press conference


Sarah was understandably dissapointed she couldn't tour London with me. I asked what she would have wanted to see and promised a picture of myself there. Here I am at the London Bridge.


It just so happened that Sigmund Freud used to live up the street from my hostel. It was a nice but non-descript house in a quiet residential neighborhood. Whatever you think of his work, he was certainly very influential. It always inspires me when I see that such important work was done in such regular locations. Why couldn't great things be accomplished in a studio apt in Rennes, or student family housing in Chapel Hill and Ann Arbor?




2 comments:

xiuzhu qu said...

Hi,Sarah,I am Ada's mom,Xiuzhu.I am writing a letter to you.But I can not send it to you,because a wrong email.When you feel free,can you send me an email?Thank you.

Tammy said...

Jeremiah is headed to London in June for a conference. I wish I could go! Let us know if there's anything he should see while he's there. He'll have one free day to tour.