Monday, June 23, 2008

Race for the Cure


Last Saturday I ran the "Race for the Cure" 5k to raise $ for breast cancer research. It was a very emotional morning for dad and I to be in Raleigh with thousands of other people, many of whom clearly had their own personal experience with breast cancer. They had signs you could put on your back which either said "In Loving Memory of..." or "In Celebration Of..." I was very grateful to be able to use the latter to write Grandma Jones' name and run the race in her honor. For those keeping score, it wasn't my very fastest 5k ever, but it wasn't bad. I ran the 3.1 miles in 26:08, avering 8:23 minutes per mile. My only complaint was that the course around Meredith College was too narrow for the size of the crowd. Even still, it was beautiful, and wonderful to receive the support of all the people lining the route cheering us on. There's nothing quite crossing that physical and symbolic finish line with everyone cheering you on. I keep my race bibs on the fridge for a month or so to help me keep that feeling as long as I can.

1 comment:

M said...

Well done, Dave! Or well RUN as the case may be!