Sunday, December 5, 2010

Marathon



On Oct 17th I ran the Detroit Marathon, my first time doing the full 26.2 miles. What an experience! I had trained for months in cities all over the world, including Ann Arbor, Ottawa, Montreal, Dublin, Paris, Rennes, Toulouse, and Nice. I was very happy that during my training runs I was able to get my time for 13.1 miles (21.1km) down to 1h51m and my time for 5 miles (8km) under 40 min. Certainly not lightning fast, but pretty good for me. Unfortunately, I was sick leading up to marathon day and didn't have that great a race. My body started falling apart around mile 14 and I had to walk quite a bit. I ended up crossing the finish line in 4h 45m. Recovery has been tough, physically and psychologically. I've only run 2x in the 6 weeks since the race, neither time feeling able to go more than 2 miles. Even still, I definitely want to do it again, to prove to myself I can get closer to 4 hours.

No comments: